A broad field of educational theory and practice that contrasts with the narrower concerns of curriculum development or educational technology. Includes social and psychological concerns. Two interesting examples are:
Peters sees a need to start the development of a Distance Education pedagogics with the following:
Source - Peters Page 1
Chapter 1 is a consideration of some elements that are current concerns of distance education. They include:
This area is see by Peters to reflect the general manner in which we view education; reading, listening to lectures, viewing media, etc.
The Concept of "Three Generations"
- Correspondence School and Independent Study
- Takes the components of traditional access and moves them to distance education
- Reflects early implementations like mail and paper-based study
- This almost seems to be a retreat from the independence of the first generation
- Primarily audioconferencing
- Adds value to the first two generations
- Supplement second-generation with CMC
- Intensifies guidance and instructional materials
The greater the access, the lower the interaction.
- Greater life experience
Three Types of Operating Mode within Institutions
In class I'd like you to choose and take one of these tutorials according to your interest and needs. See how the theoretical framework of Peters illustrates these tutorials.
Given the small size of the class, I'd like you to continue to think about how the assignments and discussions can best fit your needs as distance educators. This will be an open discussion that can continue via email this week.
- ACCREDITED COLLEGE DEGREES THROUGH CORRESPONDENCE COURSES
- Alyeska Central School home page
- Australian Correspondence Schools
- Gateways - Information Technology in the Learning Process
- Homeschooling: Correspondence Schools
- ICS Learning Systems Home Page
- International Correspondence Schools, Zimbabwe
- SGCS--Information Processing 16
Last modified Thursday, April 13, 2006 9:53 AM